Lots of homeowners are adding a space dedicated entirely to fun in their homes. Often called a man cave or a rumpus room, you can create a room for the men in the family to retreat and enjoy noisy hobbies like watching sports and playing video games, without taking over the family living room. A man cave can be a fun addition to any home. If you’re working on customizing yours, here’s how to create the best man cave.
- Check electrical requirements. Basements are a popular spot to convert into a man cave, but there often aren’t many options for electrical outlets in these spaces. Man caves usually need plenty of options for plugging things in, from the big TV to fun things like digital pinball, so you might need to wire in more plugs. Speak to an electrician about this to make sure this is done safely.
- Plan for plumbing. If you’re putting the man cave down in the basement, adding some plumbing could be well worth it. You could add a small bathroom to save the family from going up and down stairs all the time. If you’re putting a bar in, add a sink for easy access to somewhere to wash up.
- Use woods and metal. A man cave is a great excuse for going all out with the decor. Use woods for a classic gentleman’s club feel, or mimic your favorite sports bar. Bring in metals a modern, industrial touch.
- Pick a central feature. Don’t try and crowd in too many big pieces. Choose one or two and showcase them in the space. This could be a pool table, a table football game, a set of pinball or arcade machines, a projector screen or a large poker table. Work the rest of the room around this piece to stop the room feeling over-crowded.
- Find the right TV. The right TV is an important part of a man cave. Get the size right and get the right distance between the TV and the seating for the ultimate viewing experience. Consider a projector and large screen for video games and movie viewing.
- Keep seating open. Don’t shove all the seating into the middle of the room as this can make the room feel cramped and crowded. Instead, keep seating towards the edges of the room. Make use of the space behind gaming chairs or seating areas with display tables or storage items to stop the seating from creating dead space in the room.
- Add a bar. A bar is a really fun touch. You could go small, with a mini-fridge to keep beers in and a small counter for preparing other drinks, or fit a full bar if you’re more into cocktails. Add a fridge for snacks, dips, and soft drinks. This is great for entertaining friends and saves you a lot of trips to the kitchen.
- Treat yourself to a humidor. A humidor is used to store cigars and keep them in prime condition. If you love a cigar, a humidor is the ultimate luxury and takes your man cave to a luxe smoking room.