This can be a nice CD for your car! My 2 year old stayed quiet during the whole CD while we listened together on our way to the grocery store. The songs are very quiet, mellow, even relaxing. They are said to vary in music style, but to me they looked very much similar one to the other, which was kind of disappointing. The lyrics are cute, but children have to be older to be able to get what he means.
Although the words are creative, and I like the fact that they go beyond the animal kingdom (interesting theme variation for the 14 songs), do not expect this songs to teach your children biology. I can see this CD being played in my car during a road trip when my kids are about 6 or 7 years old and have exhausted their options on what to do in the moving car, but even then, I can’t guarantee they will really like it… It is not that is bad, however it is not the kind of bouncy crazy fun CD you would expect your kids to ask you to put on repeat one hundred times. Depending on your child, it can come across as kind of boring.
Thumbs up with sparkly nail polish for the “Benny and the Jets” version by Ms. G when he was only 9 years old! Adorable!!! Thumbs down with no manicure for the song “Brothers and Sisters” as the conclusion of the song is poor and short and the message that will probably stick to the kids’ heads is the one of how annoying siblings are. I can understand how he tried to be realistic, but he lacked to reinforce the zillion positives of having brothers and sisters.
I would be thrilled to get this songs as a prize for a kids meal, but would not pay $15 for it. But I see potential on Mister G. I definitely want to keep watching for his next work.
You can catch Mister G on his tour this summer at:
- Sun Jun 5 3pm – 4pm Merryall Concert – New Milford, CT
- Sat Jun 18 4:30pm – 5:30pm Rhode Island Street Festival – South Kingston, RI
- Sun Jun 19 4pm – 5:30pm Patsy Barber House Party – Northampton, MA
- Sat Jun 25 Shana and Lachlan House Party – Whately, MA
- Sun Jun 26 11am – 4pm Clark Art Museum Family Day – Williamstown, MA
- Wed Jun 29 10:30am – 11:15am Little Tots Show– Washingtonian Center – Gaithersburg, MD
- Thu Jun 30 City of Gaithersburg Concert – Gaithersburg, MD
- Wed Jul 6 10:30am – 11:15am Little Tots Show– Gainesville – Gainesville, VA
- Thu Jul 7 10:30am – 11:15am City of Frederick Special Events – Baker Park, Frederick, MD
- Sat Jul 9 11am – 11:45am Concert at North Adams Library – North Adams Library
- 1pm – 2pm Concert at Milne Library, Williamstown – Milne Library, Williamstown
- Sat Jul 16 10am – 12pm The Big Doozie – Framingham, MA
- Sun Jul 17 Green River Festival – Greenfield, MA
- Wed Jul 20 11am – 12pm Concert at Lincoln Public Library – Lincoln, MA
- Sat, Aug 13th 1:00 pm Berkshire Museum—Pittsfield, MA
- Mon, Aug 15th 6:00 pm Whately Library—Whately, MA
- Mon, Aug 29th 6:30 pm Goodwin Memorial Library—Hadley, MA
- Fri, Oct 14th Words are Wonderful– Williamstown, MA
Mister G is Ben Gundersheimer, a critically acclaimed singer/songwriter/producer who spent 20 years as a rock frontman and solo artist before transitioning to making family music. The first student to garner a songwriting scholarship to Berklee College of Music, who has won 10 ASCAP awards, Ben toured internationally before going back to school to earn a Masters degree in elementary education.
As a teaching artist, Mister G brings his innovative educational programs to schools, museums and performing arts centers. As a performing artist, Mister G has appeared with Dan Zanes and other kindie stars including Lunch Money, Brady Rymer and Secret Agent 23 Skidoo. Since his 2009 release Pizza for Breakfast, Mister G has written dozens of new songs, 13 of which are presented on this new CD.
Bugs is available for purchase online.
Overall: 7 out of 10 lollipops.
Review by Broad “R” – Riane Santa Cruz
We received a copy of this title for our CD review. All opinions are our own.