I may be a wicked geek for movies and video games so much so that they really have almost taken over my life (ask the wife to be). So it really is a wonder that I was never exposed to the film Tron. This bridges the two universes, although I had been turned off by man vs. computer films such as Stay Alive and Brainscan. When this film launched theatrically I had absolutely no desire to see it. To me it looked cheesy and I really am not a fan of the genre. So when this was offered to me I leapt at the chance to see it and crush it, I read the reviews. Unfortunately, I can’t say anything that bad, I actually really enjoyed both films. That really pissed me off. Naturally I watched the original film first then moved onto the new sequel.
The first Tron introduces us to Kevin Flynn. He hacks into the mainframe of his ex-employer to prove his work was stolen by another executive, he finds himself on a much bigger adventure. Beamed inside by a power-hungry Master Control Program, he joins computer gladiators on a deadly game grid, complete with high-velocity “Light Cycles” and Tron, a specialized security program. Together they fight the ultimate battle with the MCP to decide the fate of both the electronic world and the real world! I know lame sci-fi garbage, it’s really is kitsch campy fun.
- Tron Legacy: The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed: This was so cool I really think that this may have been worth the price of the set itself. This is the most entertaining Blu-Ray supplement I have ever seen.
- Disney Second Screen: I did not have any compatible devices to use with this I’m really excited for my buddy to bring his I Pad to try this out.
- First Look at Tron: Uprising Disney XD Animated Series: Short preview of the new animated series.
- Launching the Legacy: Nice little making of supplement.
- Visualizing Tron: A focused look at the film’s production design really nice work here too.
- Installing the Cast: Just filler here.
- Music Video: “Derezzed” written, produced, and performed by Daft Punk.
- Tron: Yes, there are two new Tron special features not included with the old DVD.
- The Tron Phenomenon: The cast and crew of Tron Legacy discuss the legacy of the original Tron in this recently produced exclusive. Just people tooting the original films horn.
- Photo Tronology: Tron director and Legacy producer Steven Lisberger and his son, Carl, visit the Disney archives in this second Blu-ray exclusive to dig through the concept art and materials the studiosaved from the original Tron. It’s really great.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Review by Bro “B” – Ben
We received a copy of this movie for our DVD review. All opinions are our own.