Lusty and laden with soulful plot, enticing characters and luscious location, Angel Harp fingers its strings throughout a novel that shines like any gem.
Marie Buchan nears forty. Six years ago her beloved husband died. One day she wakes up with en ephiphany – she doesn’t have any dreams to aspire to. Giving harp lessons, Marie drifts through the blur of her days.
She decides to take a trip, and ponders her destination. Because she has always loved Scottish folk tunes, she travels to Scotland for three weeks and decides to allow herself to end up where she will, with no particular destination in mind. When she reaches Mrs. Gauch’s B&B in Port Scarnose, Scotland, a reluctantly beautiful and bucolic seacoast town, she stops. She meets Iain Barclay, a country curate, as she plays her harp on a bench overlooking the ocean. And Marie begins to ponder her spiritual and human connections with both God and the townspeople of Scarnose.
Through her harp, Marie finds her way into the hearts of everyone she meets, with the exception of Olivia Urqhuart, the guardian of 12 year old Gwendolyn. Marie starts to teach Gwendolyn the harp as she knows that Gwendolyn is dying of a strange disease. To her surprise and delight, Gwendolyn has an innate ability for music and kens the harp as music poursw from her tiny soul out through the strings.
Ranald, Iain’s spiritual advisor, becomes Marie’s friend also. Finally, she meets Gwendolyn’s father, the Duke of Buchan, Alisdaire Reidhaven. As she pivots within the circle of her harp, love interests and Gwendolyn, Marie claims the history of Scotland as her own. She reaches for and finds her spiritual goals, with Iain’s help. And she finally decides, when Gwendolyn dies, that she loves two men. And they love her back.
In a searching and yearning ending, Marie travels back to Canada and ponders her life. In 6 months, she returns to Scotland to claim the man that she truly loves and the life that lives within both her heart and her harp.
Amazingly touching and historical representation of Scotland is more than alluring. Very good job.
Angel Harp: A Novel is available for pre-order at Amazon.com and at bookstores nationwide beginning January 26, 2011
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
We received a copy of this title for our book review. All opinions are our own.
- Click HERE to Tweet this giveaway it auto fills your tweet and you get credit each time you twitter and report back. (unlimited entries)
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog! – 5 extra entries
- Add this giveaway to other sweeps & giveaway sites – 5 extra entries
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
* Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on January 31, 2011 11:59 EST.
* Good Luck