Scrubs is an American icon, along with The Simpsons and Seinfeld. I, however, am un-American. I am sure that I am at the top of the dossier of the FBI’s Most Wanted Watches TV NOT list. I throw my handcuffed hand up – it’s true! I had never before seen Scrubs, so its hilarity and touchability had me from Episode One, Season Nine. I am a geek book reviewer. I seldom turn on the TV, and 60 Minutes does not mean much more to me than a dinner that I’ve got set on the timer!
That said, I sat, awed and thoroughly entertained through Scrubs Season Nine. Although this DVD did not present the usual “What has happened in the last nine seasons and what you should know about the characters” I did not encounter any problems following the hysterically funny and talented group that Scrubs presents.
And the action takes off! The new med students are a motley set: Lucy (Kerry Bishe), an emotional bleeding heart and do-gooder, Cole (Dave Franco), a rapper-like, protected son of the hospital’s biggest donor and total jerk, and Drew (Michael Mosley), oh so manly with a huge chip on his shoulder, know it all. Throw in Chang, the brainiac and Australian Blonde Bombshell and you have the cast of students. In perfect order, they pair up like dice: Lucy and Cole, Drew and Dr. Denise and Chang and Australian BB. Their personal interactions and “study group” catastrophes drive the 13 episodes of Season Nine.
JD and Ellie, married and pregnant, along with Turk, provoking and bonding with BFF JD, prove irresistible. When Turk and JD body bump, I could only think of Cougar Town. Throw in security guards Capt. Melvis Duncook and Lt. Frank Underhill begging their golf cart to forgive them, and you have slapstick at its best.
Dr. Cox and Denise Mahoney assert themselves in vile and often over-the-top nasty, scummy ways that create the comic tension that drives Scrubs madcap adventures. Add Dr. Kelso, former Chief of Medicine, and his elderly bimbo-itis, and it’s all there, folks.
Interspersed with hilarious scenes are also poignant ones: Kelso giving heartfelt advice; Drew telling Denise he loves her, Perry Cox asking JD to be his confidante – for 5 minutes.
- Dr. Cox picks Drew as his protege and makes him wear a pink #1 t-shirt
- Lucy’s fantasies into lands best not entered
- Dr. D and Lucy have a Learning Tree meeting
- Denise is asked by a dying patient’s son for her phone number – which she gives him
- Dr. D. and Turk go to a staff party in costume – cowboy and Indian
- Dr. Cox’s wife brings in his will to finish – and he freaks
- Lucy talks to her cadaver, Ben, and organizes a party for him only to find out his family hates him
- Chang and Lucy duke it out for leadership of the Study Group
Live from the Golf Cart – Our fav security guards allow Dr. Todd Quinten to join them On the Cart, discuss his self published book and pop champagne
Scrubs: The Complete Ninth And Final Season (Two-Disc DVD) is available for purchase on Amazon.com and other DVD retailers
Cast of Characters:
- Zach Braff Dr. John Dorian (JD), narrator, all around dorky nice guy
- Donald Faison Dr. Christopher Turk, chief of surgery
- John C.McGinley Dr. Perry Cox, mean chief of medicine
- Eliza Coupe Dr. Denise Mahoney, student advisor
- Sarah Chalke Dr. Elliot Reid, wife of JD
- Kerry Bishe Lucy, 1st year med student
- Michael Mosley Drew, 1st year med student (returning after prior attendance at med school)
- Dave Franco Cole, 1st year med student
Overall: Loved it – 5
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Thank you to Walt Disney Home Entertainment for providing a copy for our DVD review. All opinions are strictly our own.