I have read and reviewed “Evenings at the Argentine Club”, “Tell Me Something True”, and “Lone Star Legend” from Grand Central Publishing (see reviews under Books heading on The Review Broads) – and I loved them all.
“Waking Up in the Land of Glitter” by Kathy Cano-Murillo (A Crafty Chica Novel) presents another delightful “chicana” novel that goes beyond ethnicity into the fun and support that women give – with lots of joy thrown in! The reverence and love between family and friends shouts out its exuberance. Do not make the mistake of slotting this novel (or any of the others) into “Latino chic fiction”. What these novels demand and portray remain those lessons we all seek – how friends and family – that connectedness – brings us joy and pleasure. Not to say that this ride isn’t all fun and games – the hysterical characters, the fights between them all, the making up and setting goals together – show a seasoned writer who knows how to make us feel and feel strongly.
Star Estaban is a most unusual protagonist. She works for her family at La Pachanga restaurant (The Party) and art gallery. She is a budding artist herself who has so many interests she can find no direction. I am not going to reveal the rest of the novel – you must read it to enjoy it! But this novel blasts us out of our own, staid lives with its craftiness and glitter!
Wonderfully written, Cano-Murillo combines fun, eccentric characters, crafts, art, good food and presents our beloved, ditsy Star who walks in a palette of colors in her individuality and quest for love and self-hood.
Star and her friends coalesce into a world that every woman wants. Even glamorous, inept Chloe, the narcissistic TV star, falls into step as glitter and friendship step into her heart.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Waking Up in the Land of Glitter: A Crafty Chica Novel is available at Amazon.com $10.07
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook
- Follow Bro’B’s blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter about this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on May 7, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck