I can hear my Mother-in-Law’s voice in my head as I begin this review. We used to live together….in an in-law apartment sort of way. She would constantly tell me that I shouldn’t be buying “CHEAP,” that in the long run I’d spend more. We had this discussion about vacuums many times, as I’d buy a new one from the local discount job lot store every year or two, while she bought an Oreck and never had to replace anything other than the bags and a belt every now and again. On the other hand, I thought she was NUTS, plunking down ALL of that money on a vacuum, especially since she was retired and living on social security. I thought that this was a RIDICULOUS expense. In retrospect if I add up all of the money I spent on cheap vacuums that had to be replaced, I could have bought 2 or 3 Orecks.
Dear Ronnie (that’s my MIL),
I am publicly telling you that you were RIGHT. You can officially gloat now, but PLEASE never bring this up again.
I now have an Oreck XL Platinum Pilot Vacuum Cleaner – yup, I went right to the BIG ONE on this. They sent me a vacuum to review (which prompted my public apology above). Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to lie and tell you how much I LOVE cleaning. Not in this lifetime anyway. I still hate cleaning. But, I love my Oreck (and not for the obvious reasons).
Let me explain….
The OBVIOUS reasons that I LOVE my new Oreck are.
- It swivels 360 degrees (they call this Glide Technology). It’s FUN to use, but more than that it’s practical for going around corners, hugging walls, capturing dirt around furniture legs, etc.
- It’s got a HEPA filter and it uses bags. I’m allergic to DUST, so when I use a vacuum that has NO bags, I get SICK emptying it. I’m so all about the bags now.
- It’s lightweight – around 10lbs. – meaning I don’t STRUGGLE with it (at 5′ and XXXlbs -HA, you thought I was going to tell you how much I weigh…PSYCH).
- It’s got 2 speed’s – I no longer have to worry about my orientals getting ruined
- It gets the dog-stink out of my carpet (yes my mini-bullie Clem stinks). It probably gets people stink out too, but the dog never really tells me that we stink.
- 10 Free Annual Tune-ups – I wish my car had this.
- It’s got a 10 year warranty (let’s see, I used to spend about $100+ a year on vacuums. In 10 years I spent well over $1,000 – I’m being frugal).
- It lays flat to get under the bed, the sofa, the coffee table, etc. You won’t catch me moving furniture any more!
- There’s a great brush on it that grooms the nap of the rug. I have orientals in the house and this keeps them in tip-top shape.
- It’s retro looking. If you saw my house, you’d know why that excites me (it’s a style thing).
- You can buy in online or in their stores.
- It comes with an over the shoulder mini-vacuum. Great for cleaning out the car!!
- Free Shipping if you buy online.
The BEST reason that I love my new Oreck XL Platinum Pilot Vacuum
- MY HUSBAND LOVES USING IT. I made him try it and he got so excited (he has no life) over it, that HE DOES THE VACUUMING NOW!
I don’t know what you’ve done to your new Oreck XL Platinum Pilot Vacuum. The other day I got really busy doing my nails and asked my husband to help me out by vacuuming the bedroom. He turned it on and got very excited. He said that this was the BEST vacuum that he’s ever used (note – this is the first and only vacuum that he’s ever used). He liked it so much, that he kept going and vacuumed the ENTIRE HOUSE. He is now in charge of the Oreck. He doesn’t want me to ruin it (like I ruined dinner last night).
I have a favor to ask. Would you invent something that makes him want to
1. Put his dirty clothes in the hamper
2. Wash the floor around the toilet
My final take on this is that I should have broken down and bought one years ago. It’s got everything that I want in a vacuum and MORE.
Review by Broad “Z” – Zippy
Thank you to Oreck for providing me with this AWESOME vacuum to review as well as one to giveaway to one of our readers. I was in no way compensated for this post and all opinions are strictly my own.
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook NEW!
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on March 10, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck