“Worst Case” is the best case of collaboration between superstar James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge featuring Detective Michael Bennett to date. Third in the series (prior novels are “Run for your Life” and “Step on a Crack” – both fantastic reads), Michael Bennett and his ten adorable kids are back. And Patterson and Ledwidge have outdone themselves this time. I found it to be the best Patterson book I’ve reviewed so far, and Patterson always has me sitting falling off the edge of my seat.
That said, this novel catches and holds from page one. Bennett, a NYPD detective on the Special Investigative Division, is now new to the Major Case Squad, which investigates high profile bank robberies, art thefts, and kidnappings, and Bennett sees the worst.
A young medical student named Jacob Dunning has gone missing. His father is a high level CEO of Latrium and Company– with lots of money. Michael Bennett is called from his son’s basketball game and sent by Chief Carol Fleming to the residence of April and Donald Dunning. As Bennett enters the palatial residence of the parents of the young man, the phone rings. Mrs. Dunning answers. “I have Jacob” a voice says. A recording of Jacob sobbing follows before the line disconnects.
Agent Emily Parker, FBI, is called into the strange obduction – there is no ransom demand. As the Dunnings wait with Detective Bennett and Agent Parker, their phone rings a second time. The voice speaks to Bennett and suddenly Bennett and Parker realize that Jacob is dead. The murderer leaves a clue from a T.S. Eliot poem suggesting that on Ash Wednesday, 3 days away, something more will happen.
So starts “Worst Case.” The next victim is Chelsea Skinner. Her father is president of the New York Stock Exchange. The murderer tells them via phone where to find her body.
The kidnappings escalate – third is Dan Hastings, in a wheelchair – again the child of a wealthy and influential father. The 4th victim is released. Unhurt. And she has seen the killer’s face. She relates that she had to answer a series of social questions by the kidnapper – and she passes.
As Bennett and Parker work full out to find the killer before Ash Wednesday, Bennett and Parker form an alliance.
At a furious pace, this novel runs with the wolves. Action, intelligence, social and political issues galore, with a fantastic plot and great writing – what’s not to like? Another 5 for Patterson and Ledwidge.
Check out the NY Times Bestseller list for this one!
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Worst Case is available for purchase at Amazon.com for $14.00
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
In order for Extra Entries to be valid, you must first enter via the above form!
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook <<< NEW!
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on March 2, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck