Kevin is just a regular, middle aged guy turning 50. His girlfriend Stella is 35, so he considers himself lucky. As he sits on a flight from Ann Arbor, Michigan to Austin Texas for a job interview he has told no one about, he speculates. The terrorists that will bomb the plane –the Asian babe sitting next to him reading “The Joy Luck Club”; Lynda, his first love.
As he departs the concourse he realizes that no one knows where he is. He has told no one that he is on a one day fly-in, fly-out interview – because he is fed up with his invisible job as an executive editor of publications at the Center for Asian Studies at the University of Michigan. He is stuck. In his job, in his love life. Stella wants a child. Kevin can’t imagine it.
As he reminices about his friend McNulty, 30 years ago, who worked with him at a video store, Kevin decides to follow Ms. Joy Luck Club who was sitting in the seat next to him. His entire life unfolds in his mind as he wanders after Miss Joy Luck. It is 10:00 am. His interview with Hemphill Associates is at 2:00 pm. He thinks about Beth, his sultry, funny ex-wife who left him to have children with another man.
The 8 hours in Kevin’s life that follow is the entire novel. Being inside the mind of a 50 year old neurotic, narcissitic, but passioinate and tender Kevin as he faces obstacle after obstacle – in the excrutiating heat of Austin – who he meets, where he ends up – proves that Mr. Hynes, in his Joycean manner, is a brilliant author. Kevin is Daedalus, T.S. Eliot and the RoadRunner all wrapped up in one.
Hilarious, insightful, sad, hideous, the observant Kevin points us to all of our biggest fears and greatest loves. The ending is simply magnificent, as Kevin reveals his heroic depth. Absolutely wonderful writing and content.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Next is available for purchase at Amazon.com for $16.31
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook <<< NEW!
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on March 12, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck