I’ve been sitting here in the Unmansion trying to write a review for “Winnie the Pooh – A Valentine for You” Special Edition DVD 2010. Three separate stories are included in this animated DVD – “Un-Valentine’s Day,” “A Valentine for You,” and The Three Piglets – My Hero.”
You’d think this would be an easy one! I watched the DVD with my son, Ben, his wife Barbara (Broad B), Chas (11) and Libby (8). Not just an animated hour DVD, Pooh, Christopher Robin and their friends proves touching and timeless. I moved to Utah 5 years ago because I didn’t know my sons, their wives or my grandchildren. And I was afraid if they got to know me, they would find me lacking somehow. Not enough as a Mom or Grandmom. As I watched “A Valentine for You,” I realized that I was being as silly as Pooh. Pooh overhears Christopher Robin writing a valentine to Winifred – a GIRL! Pooh is rattled. Will Christopher Robin spend all his time with his new friend and not Pooh? Would he stop loving Pooh and his friends? Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore, Rabbit and Gopher think that Christopher Robin has been bitten by the Smitten, from the Honeypot. They have to find the Smitten or Christopher Robin will never be as he was – their friend. They look all over the Hundred Acre Wood for the Smitten (a firefly). Winnie catches the Smitten in his honeypot but finds himself lost deep in the Wood without his friends anywhere to be found. And he wants Christopher Robin so badly, he is so scared. Suddenly Piglet climbs a tree, Tigger sees Piglets ears, Winnie lets out the firefly and they all find each other and follow the Smitten out of the Wood. On their return, Christopher Robin asks where they have been and shows them his valentine to Winifred. As Pooh and his friends check their mailboxes, they all find a beautiful Valentines card from Christopher Robin. The Smitten follows them from mailbox to mailbox. And Winnie finally reveals his heart – he asks Christopher Robin if the valentines are from him. Christopher Robin sings Pooh a song about loving new friends, who never ever ever replace the old friends in his heart. And then Christopher Robin tells Pooh that he loves him. As I looked around, I realized that the lesson learned not just for children was one I dearly needed to hear – love doesn’t demand anything, we are all enough, and here I was sharing love with my family.
The other two stories are heartfelt and I will let you discover them yourselves. Both “Un-Valentine’s Day” and “The Three Piglets-My Hero” reinforce the lessons for children and ourselves that love doesn’t get undone. It just gets stronger.
Another Disney winner, I loved this DVD as much as I loved “Up.” Both taught me that insecurities or not, flaws and all, love is here to stay. Bravo, Disney. Great DVD for the family and the kids. As 8 year old Libby says, “It’s about LOVE Grandma!” Touche!
JUST A WORD ABOUT: the Bonus Features
- Catch the Bug Love Game – Love Bugs are in a tizzy in the 100 Acre Wood – see how many you can catch!
- Pooh Themed Valentines Cards – included in the DVD just in time to send all your friends and family a reminder – that you love them!
Well done, well cherished, well – it’s all PoohBear!
Winnie the Pooh: A Valentine for You Special Edition is available for purchase at Amazon.com for $21.99 or at your local DVD dealer for $29.99
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Thank you to Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment for providing us with a copy of this DVD to review. We were not compensated for this post and all opinions are strictly our own.
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog <<<<NEW!!
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Blog about this giveaway
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
Please make sure you leave your email address when adding a comment or I will not be able to contact you if you win.
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on January 22, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck