Somehow it makes sense. If you feel better emotionally you’ll overeat less. I’ve always noticed that when I’m happy, my weight stays low, but when my life is full of “problems” I overeat. Drs. Judith Wurtman and Nina Frusztajer have created a 12-week program, which they clinically tested at a Harvard University affiliated hospital, to help people taking antidepressants lose weight based on boosting the serotonin in the diet. But, did you know that it’s CARBOHYDRATES that boost the Serotonin in your brain?
According to The Serotonin Power Diet, you can stop all of that emotional overeating and put a top to antidepressant-associated weight gain.
I have to tell you – that I LOVE CARBS. I was getting a little sick and tired of diet books that were telling to only eat protein. When I tried these protein rich diets, I found that I was never satisfied. I’d get cranky, hungry and felt the need to CHEAT ON MY DIET. You have no idea how great it is to finally learn that I actually NEED these carbohydrates in order to reduce the food cravings.
Think about it, have you ever grabbed a roll while waiting for dinner to arrive and have it satisfy you so that you no longer craved your dinner? Have you been good all day long only to start scouring the kitchen cabinets in the late afternoon looking for a cookie or something else that was both sweet and starchy? When you do either of those things, you’re raising your serotonin level – thus satisfying your cravings.
For those of you who are currently taking antidepressants, The Serotonin Power Diet claims that it is the only weight loss plan that will help you lose weight while being treated with these medications.(and anti-depressant medication tends to provoke pigging out).
With 75 delicious recipes and a maintenance program to help you continue to keep the weight off once you’ve lost it. This is the natural solution for those dealing with antidepressant weight gain or who (like me) can not stick with a diet without carbohydrates.
Here are five tips to get serotonin working for you:
- Eat the carbohydrate on an empty stomach to avoid interference from protein from a previous meal or snack. Wait about 3 hours after a meal containing protein.
- The carbohydrate food such as graham crackers or pretzels should contain between 25-35 grams of carbohydrate. The carbohydrate can be sweet or starchy. High-fiber carbohydrates take a long time to digest and are not recommended for a rapid improvement in mood or decrease in pre-meal appetite. Eat them as part of the daily food plan instead for their nutritional value.
- The protein content of the snack should not exceed 4 grams.
- To avoid eating too many calories and slowing down digestion, avoid snacks containing more than 3 grams of fat.
- Do not continue to eat after you have consumed the correct amount of food. It will take about 20-40 minutes for you to feel the effect. Eating more carbohydrates during the interval is unnecessary and may cause weight gain.
My take is that The Serotonin Power Diet is one that I could easily adhere to.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Review by Broad “Z” -Zippy
The Serotonin Power Diet is available for purchase from Amazon.com for $10.47 or at your local book seller for $15.99
Thank you to FSB Media and Rodale for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog <<<<NEW!!
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Blog about this giveaway
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
Please make sure you leave your email address when adding a comment or I will not be able to contact you if you win.
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on January 19, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck