After “Pride and Prejudice – And Zombies” by another author, I did not hold out much hope for another long review – I figured this one would be short and sweet too. H-O-W-E-V-E-R; I was SO wrong. Since the Dashwood sisters, Willoughby and Colonel Brandon are some of my all time favorite characters in fiction, I hunched my shoulders and got to reading. I give Mr. Winters a huge thumbs up for doing a fantastic job of producing a can’t put it down novel. The secret is in his sensitivity – instead of going over the top, he keeps the words and characters of Jane Austen intact, and adds just enough Loch Ness to sizzle and tintillate.
Tender and sweet, uproarious and believable, outrageous but full of integrity, Winters twines his sea monsters and monstrous events into a coherent whole, revolving around Marianne and Willoughly, Elinor and Edward, and Colonel Brandon and Marianne. Winters’ redidition of Colonel Brandon with octopus tentacles on his face – due to a sea witch’s curse – is irresistible as Brandon never refrains in his devotion to Marianne. Cleverly wound with the Fang-Beast, Giant Lobsters, the Leviathon, and a host of other strange sea creatures, we still rue Willoughby’s insensitivity and Elinor’s devotedness to Edward Ferrars, until she finally marries him. The story of Mrs. Dashwood, and her daughters, Marianne, Elinor and little Margaret move up and down the tidal waves of a giant battle of humans with the sea creatures that are trying to take over their world and the coast of Devonshire. The twists and turns of pirates, live mountains, and Dreadbeard the Pirate himself do not slow this story down one iota – instead they impel the reader forward so fast that I read far into the night. A wonderful rendition of fun, squeamish and sensible! I won’t give any more away – you have to read this novel!
A giant 10 to Mr. Winters for creating delight and fright simultaneously. Not an easy feat! Great job!
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters is available for purchase from Amazon.com for $9.32
Thank you to FSB Media for providing this title for our book review. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinion.
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog <<<<NEW!!
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Blog about this giveaway
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
Please make sure you leave your email address when adding a comment or I will not be able to contact you if you win.
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on February 6, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck