Jaqueline Luckett’s novel promises the Adam and Eve rendition of marital love – Lena has it all. As long as she stays under her very successful husband, Randall’s radar and control. Lena has raised two children, Kendrick and Camille, and lives in total luxury. For a black couple on the rise, she has nothing to complain about. So why does she feel like a trophy wife?
Randall, the first Black CEO of TIDA, an international company, has to work hard, harder and hardest to make the grade in a white man’s company. Along the way, he has forgotten his promise to Lena, a promising photographer who has wanted to open her own studio and gallery for years – and keeps demanding that she put it off to help him rise in the company. She complies, until finally there is nothing left in her almost empty nest, except luxury and emptiness.
Somewhere along the line, 54 year old Lena has lost herself. She turns to the book, “I, Tina” by Tina Turner as she contemplates leaving Randall. She wants to be like Tina, making it on her own.
This novel begins with genuine truth and emotional gravity, but somewhere it veers into another direction. When Lena leaves Randall and travels to France to see Tina Turner in concert, she meets Harmon, and falls in love. They have an affair while waiting for the concert date to approach and travel with a friend and her ‘companion” all over France. It turns a tad bit stereotypical when Lena’s beloved mother, Lucy, dies. Randall wants her back. And she walks away from Randall and Harmon both.
The small disappointments in this book are small enough to still make it a good and interesting novel, with a valuable theme. Great try, and I think this novelist will go far with a second and third novel to come. Very good read, nicely written, good themes, but not totally compelling to this reviewer.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Searching for Tina Turner is available for purchase at Amazon.com for $16.49.
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog <<<<NEW!!
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Blog about this giveaway
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
Please make sure you leave your email address when adding a comment or I will not be able to contact you if you win.
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on January 28, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck