Disney has created an Academy Award winner with UP. Sweet, sad, heart warming, scary and oh so human! What a truly delightful film for all viewers and ages. One of the best movies of the year.
The love story of Carl and Ellie Fredricksen wrenches the heart. Carl, a retired balloon salesman is a true adventurer – but he doesn’t know it. He and Ellie always dreamed of going to Paradise Falls in South America where their house would sit just above the falls. When Ellie dies, Carl, 78, part crank, part curmudgeon, part dreamer and schemer with a heart of gold, attaches balloons filled with helium on his roof and sails to Paradise Falls.
Russell, an 8 year old Wilderness explorer trying to earn his “Help the Elderly” badge, has been under the house and is caught in the adventure when the house starts sailing away. From being terribly annoyed by Russell, Carl finds himself falling in love with the little boy. When they reach South America, they meet Kevin, an incredibly beautiful and exotic rare bird 13 feet tall with the colors of a parrot that can’t fly. Immediately after, they meet Dugs the talking dog. Then they are all discovered by the old man who first set out to find Paradise Falls in his blimp many years ago. The man is pure evil and sets out to capture Kevin, who turns out to be a girl with new babies. The mad scientist has created an island of talking dogs that obey his every ploy to capture Carl, Russell, Dugs and Kevin. Only Dugs is loyal to Carl and party, and he is a courageous and adorable creature.
After many rough attempts, Carl, Dugs, and Russell get Kevin home on the island to her babies and dispose of the nasty scientist. Unbelievably emotional, and poignant, this movie features all the best – plot, characters, animation, JUST EVERYTHING and I loved watching it and doing the movie review.
If you’ve already seen Up, make sure you get the kids a copy for Christmas. A veritable Disney explosion of a film!
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
5 Disney Fireworks – great job from the director of Monsters, Inc. and the entire Disney crew
Thank you to Disney/Pixar for providing us with a free copy of up for this DVD Review.
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Bonus Features include –
- A commentary by the directors.
- Dug’s Special Mission – An all new original short film that follows the
- misadventures of Dug as he attempts to complete his “special mission.”
- The Many Endings of Muntz
- Partly Cloudy –The hilarious short film that preceded screenings of Up.
- Adventure is Out There – This action-packed documentary tells the story of the
- filmmakers’ own trek to the tepuis mountains of South America to research the
- design and story of the film.
Blu-Ray bonuses include –
- Cine-Explore – A collage of concept art, clips and documentary coverage that illustrates the directors’ commentary.
- Geriatric Hero – A character study of Carl.
- Canine Companions – For anyone who ever wondered where CG puppies come from.
- Russell: Wilderness Explorer – A character study of Russell.
- Our Giant Flightless Friend, Kevin – Find out how avian research and development at Pixar helped bring a mythical, 13-foot tall iridescent bird to life.
- Homemakers of Pixar – Carl and Ellie’s house .
- Balloons and Flight
- Composing for Characters
- Married Life – The original story concept that became the powerful “Married Life”scene, showing Carl and Ellie’s love story.
- Global Guardian Badge Game – Players try to locate countries, states and capitals around the world.
You can purchase Up (4 Disc Combo Pack with Digital Copy and DVD) [Blu-ray] at Amazon.com for UNDER $20 or at your local DVD dealer for about $46.