Based upon one of Colette’s short novels written in 1920, Cheri (the movie) visits belle epoque France for the story that has a LOT of relevance today. With television and celebrities touting the “Cougar” – Cheri celebrates the fact that this is not a new concept.
Lea de Lonval, played by Michelle Pfeiffer is an aging courtesan who has a six year affair with a colleague’s (Kathy Bates) son. Directed by Stephen Frears of Dangerous Liason’s fame, this beautifully done period piece really showcases Pfeiffer’s talent as an actress.
With scenes from Paris to Biarritz, you’ll be whisked away to a time when beauty and elegance meets raw sexuality. The story takes us from a courtesan teaching her young lover the ways of life to the reality of aging and change.
Rupert Friend as the young Cheri, is a master in the roll and it’s hard to think of Michelle Pfeiffer as “old.” This age old tragedy of people who fall in love, but cannot seem to cross the age barrier is a timeless story.
For those who are Francophiles, love period pieces, gorgeous costumes and Michelle Pfeiffer – this DVD delivers. If you’re looking for the usual Stephen Frears touch, you won’t find it here.
Cheri is available for pre-order on Amazon.com for $19.99.
Thank you to Miramax for providing a copy for my review as well as this giveaway.
Review by Broad “Z” – Zippy
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
1. Vote for The Review Broads in the Divine Caroline Love this site awards.
2. Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
3. Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
4. Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
5. Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
6. Add our badge or the Bark to School badge to your blog/site
7. Blog about this giveaway
8. E-mail a friend about The Review Broads
9. Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 13 and over and ends on October 30, 2009 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck