Family music from the heart. For those of us who grew up listening to Woody and Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger this is going to be a VERY special album that I know I want to share with my family. Go Wagaloo mixes traditional folk with subtle uses of modern technology, including drum machines, loops, and cell phone recordings for a very unique sound.
Sarah Lee Guthrie and family (yes – the FIRST family of folk) have joined with friends like Arlo Guthrie, Pete Seeger and Tao Rodriguez Seeger to make a classic children and family CD that your kids (and YOU) will listen to over and over again. When I was first approached by Smithsonian Folkways about reviewing Go Wagaloo, my initial response to them was: “You know that adults are going to be buying this for themselves, don’t you?” Yes, they knew that. But after listening to the family friendly songs and lyrics – I can truly say that this is a collection of songs that everyone from your toddler to you grandmother will enjoy.
The album includes three previously unrecorded songs written by Woody Guthrie and set to music for the first time by Sarah Lee Guthrie. You’ll immediately be able to recognize them as Woody’s even though they’d never been released (there’s just something about his lyrics that make you smile).
Promise not to laugh at me? My favorite is “Cuz’ We’re Cousins.” I love the fact that it blends the traditional folk with “modern” lyrics and includes all of the Guthrie children singing along. Hey, you can go listen for yourself and decide which are your favorites.
Right now Smithsonian Folkways is offering free our listeners the opportunity to stream the entire album for free until November 3rd.
Smithsonian Folkways is also running a contest on their Facebook page where they ask listeners to define what they think “Go Waggaloo” means. The first 200 people who comment each get a free download from Smithsonian Folkways. The contest can be found on their Facebook Page.
This will be an album that your children will treasure for a very long time (just get used to singing along MOM & DAD).
If you’d like to Pre-Order Go Wagaloo, Smithsonian Folkways is offering an AUTOGRAPHED CD to the first 100 people who pre-order.
Thank you so much to Smithsonian Folkways for allowing me to have a copy to review as well as to giveaway.
1. Vote for The Review Broads in the Divine Caroline Love this site awards.
2. Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
3. Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
4. Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
5. Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
6. Add our badge or the Bark to School badge to your blog/site
7. Blog about this giveaway
8. E-mail a friend about The Review Broads
9. Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 13 and over and ends on November 7, 2009 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck