Author: Mary Karr
I started to read this novel – twice – and honestly, I just couldn’t get my head about it. Although written well, in an “Iowa Workshop” fashion, I found the prose overdone and the content too stereotypical – alcoholic Mom on recovery lane coming from alcoholic parent past. Not that these issues aren’t valid and tragic. I just felt like “one more of these stories” and I lost interest after chapter three. I guess “Running with Scissors” did it so well, that my standards are high. But with poetry and metaphor before, after and in-between I found Karr overdone and ultimately boring.
I am a published poet, and have great interest in using metaphor and poetry to infuse writing with force and direction. And as a form of healing. However, I just couldn’t seem to get into this memoir. I kept thinking that Sharon Olds and Sylvia Plath had done it better and with emotional blood on the page, and that Karr was holding onto the real deal, not letting us see her.
Perhaps my fault, however I just couldn’t read any further.
Can’t rate – couldn’t read past Chapter Three
You can purchase “Lit” at Amazon.com for $17.15 or from your local book dealer for $25.99
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Thank you to Harper Collins for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway.
1. Vote for The Review Broads in the Divine Caroline Love this site awards.
2. Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
3. Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
4. Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
5. Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
6. Add our badge or the Bark to School badge to your blog/site
7. Blog about this giveaway
8. E-mail a friend about The Review Broads
9. Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 13 and over and ends on November 13, 2009 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck