Author: David Rosenfelt
With a small bite of “Marley and Me” and a tiny whimper of Janet Evanovich’s super sleuth Stephanie Plum, this book presents itself delightfully to the reader!
Attorney Andy Carpenter loves dogs, co-owns a dog rescue organization, and spills out a heart of gold. Carpenter, a multi-millionaire (twenty million to be exact) only partakes of his law skills when he feels the client is innocent.
Called to the ominous Judge Hatchet’s chambers, Hatchet demands that Andy take on a pro bono case involving custody of a Bernese mountain dog puppy whose rich owner has been murdered. Andy falls into the murder of Marcus Timmerman and watches the house explosion that kills Diane Timmerman. Then a sniper almost kills his beloved girlfriend Laurie. The novel romps and careens through obstacle after obstacle. The Timmerman’s only son, Steven, is also now his client. Andy, however, knows who the killer is, because his bodyguard, the linguistic Marcus has thrown the killer’s body into the river after getting him to confess to killing Diane Timmerman and setting the explosion. But since Andy can’t say anything, that leaves Steven on the hook. And did Childs, the hitman, kill Marcus Timmerman, the famous scientist, geneticist and Steven’s father?
To complicate matters, Waggy, the irresistible Berner, only son of Bertrand II, a Westminster champion, has been targeted by the same killer who shot Laurie, obviously someone NOT Steven who lounges in jail or Childs, whom Marcus has disposed of already. So what’s up?
The plot becomes international as Andy, his partner Kevin, Marcus and Laurie (a cop herself) attempt to get Steven off and save Waggy’s life.
The novel unravels like a fine skein of wool yarn. The courtroom scenes are compelling and funny as Andy muddles through an investigation that now involves the F.B.I.
The real scene stealer is Waggy. Andy discovers that the dog is genetically engineered by Marcus Timmerman – and outs Marcus Timmerman’s deadly secret, that he could manipulate DNA in such a way —-oops, that’s for you to find out! Complicated, fun, loveable~!
Rating is based on a star scale.
“New Tricks” is available at Amazon.com for $15.92.
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Thank you to Hachette Book Group for providing this book.
- Leave a comment with one of these words: SIT, STAY, HEEL or COME
- Please leave your e-mail so that we can contact you if you’re a winner.
- Come back tomorrow – because you can enter DAILY.
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Twitter this giveaway
- Add our badge to your blog/site
- Blog about this giveaway
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe – please note that in the comments as well).
Please make sure you leave your email address when adding a comment or I will not be able to contact you if you win.
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on August 5, 2009 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck