We’re already feeling nostalgic for 2018, especially for those places that we love in our neighborhood. We know that you Fort Lauderdalians, Delray Beachers, and Wilton Manorists will want to check them out as well, so we’ve decided to share our favorites.
- Bar Red Beard – Trivia, great specials, the awesome owner who is a local (bonus) and pretty sweet vibes. This has become our local go-to, where we’re trying to earn our status as regulars.
- We Got The Beat’s Records – I have found gem after gem for my record collection here. All the prices are reasonable and the staff is really nice.
- Death or Glory – Ok, it’s in Delray, but let us tell you something right meow – and hear us when we tell you – their burger, is the best burger in South Florida. Fight us. Not only is their burger exceptional, but their charcuterie, their STAFF, their OFF-THE-HOOK (<– we’re bringing this back) drinks are also worth taking a trip to. They also have trivia and other fun things going on, but honestly…they don’t even need it. We’d still come back. Matter of fact it’s a good thing we don’t live in Delray, or we’d be broke…and need to butter ourselves up before walking through doors.
- Ride Element – As an Oakland Park resident, we were pretty amped to see a new studio for spin and TRX pop up. But, we weren’t really sure what to expect. All we can say is that the studio experience from start to finish is FIRE. The owners are wonderful, the classes are POPPIN’, and there are fun events they host after classes with their wine taps and kombucha taps alike.
- Xtreme Action Park – In one warehouse just past 95 we can bowl, jump on trampolines, rollerskate, play video games, ride 50 MPH go-karts and have a few cocktails. One stop for all the things. Avoid at all costs on weekends due to insane crowds but it is great for blowing off steam on a weeknight.
- Monday Nights @ Georgie’s Alibi in Wilton Manors – Normally this place is a bit too crazy for us, Monday is the happy medium. Inexpensive drinks, and “Cast Party” features some of South Florida’s best musical theater singers (including some that are in town while performing at the ever-amazing Broward Center).
- The Alchemist – Ok, this isn’t anything new. We all know that The Alchemist has been and currently is…where it’s at. BUT the improvements to the entire area have made going for coffee and a slider a more fun event. The Wander Shop airstream is parked there, more restaurants are popping up should you want something more, and there are now beautifully painted walls. It’s the perfect way to spend the afternoon (if you’re like us) with a good book or working on your writing.
- MOJO – All. Day. Long. There is nowhere friendlier, nowhere with a more varied menu that delivers a punch to the tastebuds EVERY SINGLE TIME like MOJO. With different deals on different nights, it’s the LEGIT perfect date night and something we treat yourself to quite frequently. (The mussels night is amazing – we think it’s Tuesday!)
- Lifestream Spa – This was a treasure we found completely by accident and boy did it deliver. The owner is wonderful, the aestheticians and masseuses are TOP. NOTCH. and the atmosphere is exceptionally relaxing (which I wasn’t sure about because it’s not on a beach – but then I realized, when do I take advantage of the beach?).
- Mary Schmitt – Personal Trainer – I cannot stress this one enough. And she is so much more to me than that. Mary has been with me through some of the crazier times and has truly worked to tailor a program that works with ALL of my ailments (knee probs, back probs, chronic migraines). She tailors a program that’s uniquely yours, then walks you through how to achieve your goals, TOGETHER. She knows how to push the right amount, has never been anything but professional and thoughtful, and I couldn’t recommend her enough as a trainer, now a friend, and just as a human in general.
- TCM Wellness Project – Danielle DeFreitas is someone who has guided me through 2018 in a way I never thought possible. With her knowledge of Chinese medicine, cupping, acupuncture and beyond, I was able to get my mind right, (work on) getting my body right, and I learned SO much. As someone not thrilled at the idea of needles, let me tell you – since going to see Danielle, I go twice a week and get UPSET when I have to miss it. I’d recommend her to absolutely anyone, for absolutely anything, including those afraid of needles (she is legit SUPER gentle).
- Jezebel – This is our absolute GO-TO for fun, quirky, one-of-a-kind gifts. It’s an eclectic shop that sits in the Gateway Plaza, full of vintage & new clothing, accessories, housewares, greeting cards and more. We can’t go in there without buying something. It seems literally impossible. The owner is awesome and friendly, and there’s an adorable dog who greets you as well – and who doesn’t love that?
- Wilton’s Manor – While we’re on the subject of doggos, puppers, fur-children – I want to talk to you about the O-N-L-Y place we trust with our crazy Mr. Jack and Betty White. Josh is a literal dog whisperer. Wilton’s Manor is the one place I don’t have to worry if our two wonderful, yet wildly delinquent dogs are ok. Now normally, when we’ve brought them to places prior to finding this pupper haven, they have FOUGHT US on going in. But both our dogs act like teenagers at the mall and RUN into the facility, forgetting we exist. When they come home, they’re WIPED and ready to snuggle – and we are GRATEFUL. I never regret sending them there and again, cannot sing high enough praises of gratitude to people who take care of our fur-children like they’re their own.
- Victoria Park Flower Studio – I mean, again…I’d like to say this isn’t a shock. Because it’s really not. But the shocking part is the flawless consistency that Victoria Park Flowers provides, time-and-time again. The flowers are stunning, the arrangements are unique, and I (Allyson here) always values getting one of their beautiful pieces. There may be a lot of other florist’s out there, but in South Florida, and Fort Lauderdale especially – there isn’t any competition.
Hope to run into you there! What are YOUR favorite Fort Lauderdale spots?
Bar Red Beard 3301 NE 33rd St. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 7(54) 223-4665
We Got The Beat’s Records 5130 N Federal Hwy, Suite #2, Fort Lauderdale FL 33308 (954) 671-9482
Death or Glory 116 NE 6TH AVENUE DELRAY BEACH, FL, 33483 (561) 808-8814
Ride Element 3496 NE 12th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334 (954) 280-RIDE
Xtreme Action Park 5300 Powerline Rd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309 (954) 491-6265
Georgie’s Alibi 2266 Wilton Drive – Wilton Manors, FL 33305 (954) 565-2526
The Alchemist 2430 NE 13th Ave, Wilton Manors, FL 33305 (954) 673-4614
MOJO 4140 N Federal Hwy, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33308 (954) 568-4443
Lifestream Spa 3045 N Federal Hwy., Ste. 60 H, Fort Lauderdale, FL33306 (954) 567-8011
Mary Schmitt – Personal Trainer (850)766-5916
TCM Wellness Project (754) 800-4826
Jezebel 1980 E Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (954) 761-7881
Wilton’s Manor 2155 N. Dixie Hwy., Wilton Manors, FL 33305 (754) 223-4776
Victoria Park Flower Studio 901 NE 20TH Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (954) 463-0505