(Recipes for Gulf Coast Cooking, Entertaining, and Savoring the Good Life)
Author: Lucy Buffet
To be a good cook, you have to have a love of the good, a love of hard work, and a love of creating. Julia Child
Coastal Southern food and Lucy Buffett go hand in hand. Reading Lulu’s Kitchen, Lucy’s first cookbook was like being with a friend chatting over coffee with stunning pictures about and a salty breeze in the foreground. Gumbo Love is more of the same: Lucy’s life, anecdotes, family stories, fab recipes Southern style and stirring gumbo, not only in the kitchen, but in our hearts and lives. Dixie, Southern, Gulf Coastal; Lucy is all those things and more, bringing the best seafood to your table and the best recipes to your kitchen. May 10th was national shrimp day; here is one of Gumbo Love’s recipes!
SPICY SHRIMP CEVICHE (SERVES 8)
- 2 pounds poached wild-caught Gulf shrimp (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ¾ cup peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumber
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus ¼ cup for serving, if desired
- Juice of 5 limes (about 1 cup)
- Juice of 2 lemons (about ½ cup)
- Juice of 1 orange (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced (optional)
- 2 limes, quartered (optional)
- Chop the shrimp into thirds or bite-size pieces, or leave them whole
If you prefer, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the red onion, celery, tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño, garlic, ginger, cilantro,
lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil, salt, white pepper, and sugar and stir
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. While the mixture
marinates, occasionally turn the container to evenly coat the shrimp in the liquid
- Transfer the shrimp and liquid to a glass bowl to serve or divide among eight
martini glasses. If desired, garnish with avocado, cilantro, and lime.
Excerpted from the book GUMBO LOVE by Lucy Buffett. Copyright ©2017 by LucyBuffett. Reprinted with permission of Grand Central Life & Style. All rights reserved.
- We received a copy of this book for review.
- You can get GUMBO Love at Amazon.com & other booksellers nationwide