Author: Cherie Calbom, MS, CN
Smoothies to me mean sweet, thick, fruitie tutee milkshake like drinks that are bought at Jamba Juice. I never thought of a “green” smoothie, although I eat lots of raw vegetables. I opened Ms. Calbom’s book thinking, ok, just review it, and ended up making quite a few of her green smoothies and trying them out. Enticing, and deliciously different, she made me a fan.
We don’t often pick up books on juices and nutrition; at least I don’t. I run to the fiction aisle or the cookbook aisle or the fashion aisle at Barnes and Noble. One of the great joys of being a reviewer is opening myself up to new and different books about nutrition. Like Foods That Heal – Foods That Harm, the Juice Lady impaled a different slant on my nutrition needs and a healthy breakfast that I ALWAYS skip.
In her introduction, Ms. Calbom discusses juicing and losing weight, brighter skin and stronger immune systems. I have immune disorder problems that I ignore: I’m a Review Broad! Vibrant and radiant! A fashion diva! A bibliophile. As I read through the book, and tried some recipes I realized: it’s ok to say that you are tired – and you can do something about it!
The right kind of juicer is described in a manner that assists the buyer in obtaining the right equipment that lasts a lifetime. I know it sounds insane, but I always whip up smoothies for my dog too when I have them.
So Clem and I tried out some recipes.
- 2-3 carrots scrubbed well, tops removed, ends trimmed
- 1 chunk jicama 2 inches by 4-5 inches in length with peel, scrubbed
- Cut produce to fit your juicer’s feed tube (I used my blender).
- Juice ingredients and stir.
- Pour into a glass and drink as soon as possible.
- Serves one (and a tiny little dachshund).
Nectarine Salsa Cocktail
- 3 ripe large nectarines, pits removed
- 1 handful of cilantro
- ½ cucumber, peeled if not organic
- ¼ small fresh Serrano of jalapeno pepper, seeds removed unless you like really hot foods
- Cut produce to fit you juicer’s feed tube
- Juice ingredients and stir
- Pour into a glass and drink as soon as possible
With over 400 recipes all quick and fast, I worked over the book like a pro wrestler! Within a week, I felt happier, with more energy and no more burping after eating raw veggies! I liked this book a lot, and Calbom took me from a non-believer to a juicer in about 20 pages! Very good book for people who want to feel good and look good, naturally and organically.
Clem wagged his tail more often, but then, he’s just a dog.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
We received a copy of this title for our book review. All opinions are our own
The Juice Lady’s Big Book of Juices and Green Smoothies: More than 400 simple, delicious recipes! is available on Amazon.com and booksellers nationwide