My family can make fun of me all that they want. I grew up on Billy Joel. As I recall, so did my husband, my friends, just about EVERYONE that I knew were fans of the self-proclaimed “Piano Man.” It’s odd, but I really hadn’t listened to his older work in a very long time, so I was excited to give a listen to this new 2CD set that includes the original Piano Man CD from ’73 (I was in college when it came out) and a 2nd one that with a LIVE recording of his infamous radio concert at Sigma Sound Studios in 1972….and I realized something. I STILL LIKE BILLY JOEL.
While I appreciated the original recording, what REALLY blew me away was the 2nd disc. This includes the recording of Captain Jack that really made him EXPLODE onto the music scene and hearing him play LIVE is so much better than ANYTHING he’s ever done in a studio. Billy Joel is and always will be a LIVE musician. That’s what he does best, it’s where his piano skills shine and you hear much more depth to his voice. He belongs before an audience.
“I never sat down and said I’m gonna write a hit record. I wouldn’t know a hit record if it bit me. I just wrote songs. I wrote them for me, I wrote them for the band, or I wrote a song for the women in my life. I was just writing songs for me. It’s music that I wanted to hear. If I didn’t hear certain kind of music on the radio, I realized, ‘Well, if I write and record this it’ll probably be on the radio and that’s what I’ll hear.’ That’s what I was thinking. Not so much about having hits, but about making music that I liked. I only really ever did it for me. That may sound selfish, but I’m the only person that I really know all that well.” – Billy Joel
Billy Joel – Piano Man (Legacy Edition)
DISC ONE: The Original Album
- Travelin’ Prayer
- Piano Man
- Ain’t No Crime
- You’re My Home
- The Ballad Of Billy The Kid
- Worse Comes To Worse
- Stop In Nevada
- If I Only Had The Words (To Tell You)
- Somewhere Along The Line
- Captain Jack
DISC TWO: The Sigma Sound Studios Performance
- Travelin’ Prayer
- The Ballad of Billy the Kid
- She’s Got A Way
- Everybody Loves You Now
- Long, Long Time*
- Captain Jack
- Tomorrow is Today
Recorded live in April 1972 at Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia, PA
What I was even MORE excited about, was the fact that he’s also released The Complete Albums Collection
Diehard Billy Joel fans can order AUTOGRAPHED copies by Billy Joel if they order this $199 collection directly from the Official Billy Joel store.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Review by Broad “Z” – Zippy
We received a copy of this title for our review. All opinions are our own.
- Tweet, stumble, etc. this giveaway by using the icons below this post – unlimited entries – 1 entry per action (unlimited)
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog! – 5 extra entries
- Add this giveaway to other sweeps & giveaway sites – 5 extra entries
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
* Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on November 25, 2011 11:59 EST.
* Good Luck