With another explosion of collaborative skills, Bat-Patterson and Robin-Ledwidge suspend us with another thriller starring Michael Bennett, father of 10, grandson of Irish priest Seamus, and NYPD cop extraordinaire.
Michael is on vacation with his kids, grandfather Seamus, and luscious nanny Mary Catherine, enjoying the seaside and gearing down. RRRIIINGG. Michael picks up, annoyed. The NY Public Library has just hosted a bomb threat. I AM A BOMB strolls across the screen of a desktop planted in the Reading Room. The bomb is just a tease, but the sophistication of the mechanism requires the presence of Mike, and Michael knows when to crank up. He calls his boss back reluctantly, and travels back to the city, leaving the family to enjoy the vacation, figuring he will be back to his family the next day.
AND then situations take the Patterson Strut – Grand Central Station hosts another bomb. And this one detonates. As Michael Bennett tears into the terror surrounding the strange bomber, FBI Agent Emily Parker enters the fray as Michael’s “partner.” Michael and Emily have worked together before – and make a strong team.
As Berger the bomber proceeds to murder and terrorize the city, Michael and Emily chase down the leads. They cannot proceed with caution, for the bombings increase in both intensity and terror. 9/11 comes to mind as Michael and Emily dig into the dirt that pile over Berger – a mountainous man with the mind – and friends – of a psychopath. And then — they realize the enormity of the final act that Berger et al. plan to finalize.
Simultaneously, Michael’s young son is flagged by a bully. As Michael struggles to help his son and family, and commute back and forth to crime scenes that multiply in atrocity, he and Mary Catherine catch each others eye – and hearts. But where does that leave Michael and Emily?
Torched with the usual Patterson spatter, ignited with a plot that sizzles, this novel succeeds in materializing into one of Patterson’s best. Bennett is a character that portrays multi-dimensional roles, and like Alex Cross, he slips across the line into reality for the reader. We cannot help but hope that Michael gets his man – as he always does – and we cannot help but slide into the personal arena of Mike and his beloved family, as he protects the kids, jokes with Seamus, eyes Mary Catherine and finds an immense attraction to Emily. The killer – that’s an entirely different plot, as Patterson ushers us into one of the best palisades in the decade, with a killer than proves both bizarre and enticing. Read on, readers. This one is not to be missed, and Patterson and Ledwidge have delved into the Devil’s Realm on this spinner!
Tick Tock (Michael Bennett) is available for pre-order at Amazon.com and will be available in bookstores around the country beginning January 24, 2011
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
We received a copy of this title for our book review. All opinions are our own.
- Click HERE to Tweet this giveaway it auto fills your tweet and you get credit each time you twitter and report back. (unlimited entries)
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog! – 5 extra entries
- Add this giveaway to other sweeps & giveaway sites – 5 extra entries
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
* Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on February 4, 2011 11:59 EST.
* Good Luck