I don’t know about you, but as I age and my body changes, I struggle with what to wear. I’m caught between wanting to appear elegant, fashionable and at the same time FUN. I have very strong ideas about what I like and tend to buy the same things over and over again. I AM IN A STYLE RUT! My rut is a combination of black and white striped shirts and dark slacks or skirts. Oh, and did I mention the bazillion clothing pieces that hang in my closet and never get worn?
One of the things that I really like about What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life beside it being JAM-PACKED with information, is that rather than telling you what to wear – it helps you explore what you like, your stage in life, etc.
Finding a STYLE MENTOR is one of the more important pieces of the puzzle. We all have other women we admire for their fashion sense. Be it the ageless Candace Bergen, the bold Zaha Hadid or the classics like Audrey Hepburn and Jackie O – there are always women that inspire. Finding YOUR MENTOR makes choosing what to wear easier.
Ms. Gross first burst on to the scene with her Chic Simple series (a series that I’d consider to be the bible of fashion) and she’s continuing her Assess, Dejunk, and Renew war cry in this book. Gaining hold of your closet and learning to dress for your own pleasure so that you enjoy EVERYTHING that you put on will help you to “evolve” your style..
Other key elements:
- Dressing your age
- Shop Smart for the rest of your life
- Pulling it all together
- and more….
For many of us, it’s learning to shop SMART and not give up style for the sake of a bargain. No matter what your budget – it’s a matter of finding those pieces that are RIGHT for your body and your life. She even suggests that women shop at MY FAVORITE stores like TJ Maxx, Loehmann’s (and Daffy’s – which I like to stop into when I’m in NY).
I personally found this book to be very helpful as I have a bad habit of using shopping as a form of therapy. The result is a lot of items (clothes, shoes, even MAKEUP) that I’ll never wear. After reading “What to Wear” I have a much better understanding of what I should be buying, weeding out and wearing for my OWN signature style.
Review by Broad “Z” – Zippy
What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life: Ageless Secrets of Style is available for purchase at Amazon.com for $16.49
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook
- Follow Bro’B’s blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter about this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on June 5, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck