Every once in awhile, a book comes along that makes you feel warm – hopeful – happy. Anne Dayton and May Vanderbilt gift us with “Love Will Keep Us Together”, a coming of age novel starring four incredible teens – Riley McGee, Christina, Ana and Zoe. Going into their senior year at high school, learning how to leave each other and trust themselves and just being girls who make mistakes – and come out shining – I loved the truthfulness and love that binds these girls together.
Riley’s brother Michael has Asperger’s Syndrome (a form of autism). Ana’s grandmother is dying. Zoe thinks she wants college – but can’t afford it. And Christine learns to forgive.
The girls belong to a youth group at their church, and they bring their honesty and new found maturity and compassion to teach the new pastor, Pastor Jandel, that sometimes we need more than the Bible. Riley confronts him about his mistreatment of a young pregnant and unmarried girl, and he realizes his mistakes. Riley decides not to go to college, but take a gap year, turning down Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and USC.She realizes that her boyfriend Tom is a jerk, and connects to Ben, an artist who really cares about her. Zoe who has worked hard to get into a good school is accepted at USC, but decides a community college is more what her parents can afford. Christine goes on to NY to pursue art and Ana decides on Princeton.
This is the bare minimum. This beautifully crafted story must be read to be appreciated. It shines like a diamond and cuts to the heart. Wonderful reading for teens and adults alike. Beautiful read – I truly enjoyed it.
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook <<< NEW!
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on April 22, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck