The author Anne Perry always comes to mind when I read Regency-era romance novels. I become one with her characters, who are complex and real.
Not so with Jennifer Haymore’s “A Touch of Scandal.” Perhaps my expectations reached too high. “A Touch of Scandal”, unfortunately, read like the Plot-Character-Formula romance novel.
Kate Fisk, a housemaid to Lady Rebecca, (also secretly her sister-in-law), falls in love with Rebecca;s brother, Duke of Carlton Garrett James. With the usual 2 or 3 murders, Garrett’s shaky past and bad boy image, Lady Rebecca’s sweet and innocent heart, and the push/pull of unsanctioned sex between Garrett and Kate, this novel blurs. Family trauma, betrayal, housemaid mistress and illegitimate child thrown in, I felt like I was reading a how-to on formulating a romance novel.
I can’t say that I didn’t enjoy reading this novel. I did. For all the platitudes and expected plot twists, I still love a romance! And “A Touch of Scandal” is all that!
Not too original, not great, but “A Touch of Scandal” held my interest and moved poignantly through the lives of the characters at times. Definitely worth reading if you love romance novels and want a good distraction.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
A Touch of Scandal is available at Amazon.com $6.99
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook
- Follow Bro’B’s blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter about this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on May13, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck