“Invisible Boy” by Cornelia Read establishes this author as exceptional and one of a kind. She doesn’t need my rattled words. She has a slew of her own that speak more eloquently – to the soul – than I do.
Madelaine Dare, smart and sassy, ex-socialite via family, discovers the skeleton of a three year old child in an old cemetery outside Manhattan where some of her relatives are buried. The child has been literally smashed to death – recently – and dumped on top of weeds. Madelaine’s sister, Pagan, her socialite friend, Astrid, Madelaine’s husband, Dean, her friend and attorney Kyle and Detective Oskwarecki all witness her attempts to bring the murderer of the 3 year old African American boy to justice. Mrs. Underhill, great grandmother to Teddy, the child, testifies against her own granddaughter and her granddaughter Angela’s boyfriend Albert Williams, both crack addicts, who put the child’s body in the fridge after Albert smashed him to death for two weeks, while they sat in the same house getting high.
The social implications of this book run deep and long. Like Atticus in “To Kill A Mockingbird,” the DA, Mrs. Bost does her best.
Deeply upsetting, deeply moving with a protagonist you will never forget, this novel speaks to everything we believe in. God, justice, children, family, love, hate and also reveals the horror that exists when all are present – or not.
It is an absolutely brilliant novel, with a depth and clarity very seldom seen. Ms. Read brings Teddy and his grandmother, who watches the abuse and does nothing, to life. There is no black and white here, just a gray that goes down our guts like fog feigns a mirage. If you don’t read this novel, you will not experience the greatness it contains. If you do read it, you will remain as I do, speechless. And touched to the very core.
JUST MY OPINION: Broad A’s Pick of the Best of the Year 2009/2010 (I haven’t read anything this good since “The Shipping News” by E. Annie Proulx which won the 1994 Pulitzer for Fiction).
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Overall: 5 (5 really doesn’t do this novel justice)
Book Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Invisible Boy is available for pre-order at Amazon.com $16.
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing this title for our book review as well as this giveaway. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.
- Become a fan of The Broads on Facebook <<< NEW!
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow Bro’B’s new blog – I Pity the Blog
- Follow Broad “Z” on twitter.
- Grab our badge from the sidebar and add it to your site.
- Twitter this giveaway.
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on April 1, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck