Monsters Inc. is another link in the chain of amazing films that PIXAR has produced. This is only comparable to the original run a Disney films (sleeping beauty, the jungle book until beauty and the beast).
Monsters, Inc. was released while I was in high school and was a go-to film for everyone I knew. The films are emotionally complex for adults and exciting enough for children.
The stars of this film are John Goodman and Billy Crystal as the monsters who work at Monster, Inc., the biggest scream processing plant in Monstropolis. When a girl named Boo wanders into their world, it’s the monsters who are scared silly. When Sulley and Mike think that she’s dangerous, they do their best to get Boo to her bedroom, but there are some monstrous hurdles along the way.
If I could say ANYTHING about this Blu-Ray set, it’s that you should just run out and buy it now!!!!!
The Blu-Ray remastering is great, the viewer can really see the texture in all of the animation and the 5.1 soundtrack is just as amazing. There are about 10 hours of special features. The commentary is light hearted and fun and not as technical as you would expect, and it sounds like they had fun making the film.
There are two shorts “Mikes New Can” and “For the Birds” which are a lot of fun. There is also an inside look at a new Monsters, Inc. theme park ride. And thats only the first disc of features.
The second disc contains a fun game for the kids so they can figure out what they would do at Monsters, Inc. There is a tour of PIXAR that was way toooo short(I needed to see more). They included a lot of deleted scenes, all of which I am glad were cut as they really wouldn’t have added much to the film (except to the length). Tons of features about building the production and the story and characters are also included. My favorite was Monster File, which was an inside look at how a monster thinks.
This has quickly become one of my favorite Blu-Ray sets. Anyone that has children or is a animation fan should purchase this immediately.
ALL NEW BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES
- FILMMAKERS ROUND TABLE – Filmmakers Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich, Darla Anderson, and Bob Peterson reflect on the creation of the film, and share their most memorable anecdotes.
- MONSTERS, INC. RIDE AND GO SEEK: BUILDING MONSTROPOLIS IN TOKYO – A sneak peak of the newest Monsters attraction in Tokyo Disneyland, with exclusive interviews of the artists and engineers behind the ride.
- ROZ’S 100 DOOR CHALLENGE (INTERACTIVE GAME) – Think you have what it takes to be a Monsters, Inc. employee? Roz will be the judge of that with her 100 Door Challenge. Deal with whatever is behind each new door. It could be a puzzle, a trivia question, a mini-game . . . it could be crazy! Do your best. Your future employment at Monsters, Inc. hangs in the balance.
DISNEY FILE DIGITAL COPY FOR iTUNES AND WINDOW MEDIA PLAYER
PLUS ORIGINAL DVD BONUS FEATURES:
- Academy Award® nominated short film “Mike’s New Car“ (With Audio Commentary By
- Academy Award® winning short film “For the Birds” (With Audio Commentary By Director)
- Banished Concepts
- Storyboard To Film Comparison
- Monster file
- Animation Gag Reel 1: Sulley/Boo/Waternoose
- Animation Gag Reel 2: Giraffe Gag
- Animation Gag Reel 3: Sulley Bowling Boo
Review by Bro’ “B” – Ben Monsters, Inc. (4-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray] is available on Amazon.com for only $21.49 or at your local DVD dealer for about $41.00
Thank you to Disney’s Pixar for providing “B” with a copy of Monsters, Inc. for this DVD review.