Author: Julia Amante
Evenings at the Argentine Club prove the cement that binds immigrants Victor and Jaqueline Torres and Lucia and Antonio Ortello together. Both families emigrated from Argentina to create better lives for their children. The Torres family has two daughters, Victoria and Carmen. The Antonio family has one son, Eric, who left 6 years ago to find the American dream – and himself.
The two families criss-cross and divert like the currents in a river and are bound together by Jaqui and Lucia’s friendship, their children – and the Argentine Club. It is at the Argentine Club that they realize their mistakes in demanding that their children follow their dreams – not the childrens’ dreams.
As Victor and Antonio learn the lesson of allowing Eric and Victoria to forge their own lives, they also grow in strength and love for their families. When Eric unexpectedly appears at the Argentine Club, Antonio supports his son. And when Victor allows Victoria to stop taking care of him and releases her from working at the family restaurant, La Barillo, she blossoms into the interior designer she has always wanted to be. And then Eric and Victoria fall in love.
The theme of having one foot in one country and another foot in another is an American theme. How these families, torn apart by traditional Argentine parents and confused American children meld the two into new family alliances is one that touches us all.
This is a quiet novel that packs power in its traditions. Of special interest to a Latino audience, the blend of new and old presents a lovely panorama of the changes immigrant families (and all families) experience in order to incorporate old and new – with pain and love.
Ratings are based on a 5-star scale
Review by Broad “A” – Ava
Evenings at the Argentine Club” can be pre-ordered at Amazon.com for $11.19
Thank you to the Hachette Book Group for providing our review copy as well as copies to give away.
Enter daily for the most entries
- Subscribe to The Review Broads for FREE
- Fave us on technorati.
- Follow the Review Broads – on the sidebar
- Tell a friend – if they subscribe or follow The Review Broads you get an entry (with unlimited entries) – please put their e-mail address as well as yours in the comments.
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Twitter this giveaway
- Add our badge to your blog/site
- Blog about this giveaway
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 13 and over and ends on September 10, 2009 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck